Little Pim Fun with Languages Spanish Playtime Disc Review

Disclosure:  I received product in exchange for this post.


One of the things I regret about my education is the lack of foreign language I had in it.  I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, but never any more beyond that.  Honestly I'm not sure I could ever master conversational Spanish.  I was happy being able to understand a few words and phrases.  I would love for it to be different for my kids.  Without having bilingual parents or grandparents it is hard to expose them to other languages.  That is why I love  Little Pim and what it offers to parents like myself.  Little Pim can help engage kids in a foreign language in a way I'm not able to.

The Little Pim DVD series was created by a mom who also happens to be an award winning filmmaker and daughter of a internationally acclaimed language teaching pioneer.  Using research that proved that children under the age of six are primed to learn new languages the series was developed.  The DVDs use a cute, fun panda character named Little Pim to teach conversational words and phrases.  Each DVD is 35 minutes long and in that time teaches at least 60 words and phrases.  Here's a clip of the Spanish for Kids series:


I selected one of the Spanish DVDs to share with my kids.  I wanted Spanish so that I would hopefully be familiar with some of the words and pronunciation, but also for a review for myself.  As I watched the video with them it was nice to use my recall power and repeat things for them and sometimes with them.  There are 6 individual DVDs in the Spanish series.  The one we received was Disc 3:  Playtime.


This disc is all about the wonders of play.  It start with playing blocks and learning colors and shapes along the way and goes to playing dress up.  Little Miss got a big kick out of the dogs playing dress up too!  The first time we played the DVD we mainly watched and listened.  The second time I turned on the optional English subtitles.  Little Pim guides you through several 5 minute episodes and I liked being able to follow what the panda was saying and letting my kids know.  There are tips included in the DVD that include watching the DVDs with your kids and making it part of their routine.  I wish that we had these DVDs when my son was younger because I think he would have taken to them, but now that he's 7 he's not as interested.  The DVD is good for my 4 year old daughter when she is willing to give it her full attention.  I think the benefits would be greater with younger kids.  

I really liked having the optional subtitles and I also liked the repetition on the DVD.  Words and phrases were used multiple times in each episode before moving on to the next.  I think the combination of the fun animated character and real kids, animals and settings is also a great way to engage kids.  My kids always enjoy watching other kids their age.

Little Pim is available for ordering at LittlePim.com.  You can also find most of the products available on Amazon.  I like that there are multiple product choices.  You can start with a single DVD or a gift set.  There are also 12 languages available to choose from right now.  

To learn more about Little Pim you can connect with the brand on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.


Disclosure:  I received this product for the purpose of a review.  All opinions are 100% mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment