Tips for De-cluttering and Organizing Toys! #WallTracks

One of my biggest challenges when I made the decision to stay at home with my kids was the disaster my house became.  I was used to having my kids spend their day somewhere else then once they were home every day, playing with their own toys and making messes in their own house I was in for a reality check.  There are ways we do try to stay on top of it all though.  Here are some of my tips:
1.  Sorting - I'm somewhat of a Type A personality.  I like everything to have its own place.  We have a box for crayons, a bin for coloring pages and storage for Play-Doh.  Everything has a home so everyone knows where it belongs when they're done and where they can find it when they're ready to play with it again. 
2.  The Big Toy Box - I recommend this to anyone if you have the space for it.  If you have a designated playroom this is a great option.  No sorting required.  All kids can help put toys away in the toy box.

3.  Book Shelves - I love books and hope that my children love their books as much as I do.  I do not love books on the floor getting trampled.  We made sure to put big shelves in my son's room so they have a proper place to be put away.
4.  Shelving - It's amazing how much stuff you can put away when you have shelves.  Add some storage bins and you are all set.

5. Underbed Storage - My son loves his cars and trucks, but I don't love them under foot.  They hurt when you stop on them!  I let my son play with one or the other, but once he's done they go back in the bin and back under the bed.
6.  Buckets - You can find some buckets on the cheap that work great for things like Legos.  Instead of having several different Lego sets around they all go in the one bucket.
7.  Break It Up - When it comes time to do a major clean up we break it up and just tackle one room at a time.  We might start with the playroom one afternoon and tackle my son's bedroom the next.  It's easier on everyone to not try do it all at once.
8. Pack It Away - As my kids get older we are still holding on to toys they've outgrown.  We're not quite ready to let them go so instead they get put away in a bin in the basement.
9.  Clean Up As You Go - This is my best option although not completely realistic we do try our best to pick up the toys as we're done with them and clean up the art projects when complete.
10.  Hide It - My daughter loves to get out all the games with small pieces.  My best option for her is putting those games high on a closet shelf where she doesn't have access to them.


Hot Wheels understands that families need help containing the "toy clutter".  They have introduced the all-new Wall Tracks™ sets to help moms everywhere clean up toy clutter!

Kids can now take their Hot Wheels® races where they've never gone before - off the floor and onto the walls! Now kids can perform their stunts, speed, turns, and tricks, powered by gravity and set up any way you can imagine it - and it’s off the floor!  Learn more about the new Wall Tracks™ sets on the Hot Wheels site
Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Hot Wheels® blogging program, for a gift card worth $40. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

6 comments:

  1. I love the shelving with the plastic bins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to be organized, so I think this post is great. As a kid I always wanted a big toy box :). Visiting from the Thirsty for Comments blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we love bins, tubs and our toybox. Love the pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bins are the best. It gives the kiddos somewhere to put things while still allowing them to pile them in. Teaching organization like this is essential as early as you can start incorporating it. When the teen years hit, organization becomes obsolete, but if it's ingrained in them early on, the mess may get to them more and make the teen years easier on mom.

    Here from Thirsty for Thursdays! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love shelving before my sons got the climbing bug... and I will love shelving again once they grow out of it... great tips!

    Visiting from Thirsty for comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the "under the bed" containers. I use them to change from winter to summer clothes.

    ReplyDelete