Savings Tracking ~ Mid-Year Report for 2011

I have another confession to make....I am no extreme couponer.   I have been tracking my savings since the first of the year using a Savings Tracking spreadsheet I downloaded at Savings Lifestyle.  Every week I input my out of pocket spending, my overall savings and my coupon savings for all of my grocery trips, Walgreens and Target visits. 

So far this year I have saved almost $1350 on grocery and household items just by using coupons alone.  Additional savings comes from store sales & promotions.  But my total % of savings only averages to about 46%.  This is a little disappointing and definitely does not even come close to comparing with those on Extreme Couponing saving 70-90% on their grocery trips.  One reason for this is stores in my area don't double coupons.  It's just not possible for me to get the same savings you see on TV.  I'm not trying to make excuses I know where a lot of my downfalls are and can list them for you:  ice cream, soda and beer!  We always have ice cream on hand and as I've confessed before I'm addicted to pop and love it so it's something I spend money on and it's not something you get a lot of coupons for - I just have to take advantage of store sales.  Beer isn't something we buy very often honestly - not even once a month, but when we do buy it it adds to the grocery bill quickly and takes a dent out of the percentage of savings. 

Do you track your savings?  How do you do it?  One thing that I haven't tracked is mail-in rebates, so any savings I get from those isn't being included.  Any recommendations for me in that area?  Do you have any guilty pleasures like I do that make your savings take a hit?

Confessions of a Frugal Mind

4 comments:

  1. I used to save a lot more with coupons when we lived back East. Alaska just doesn't have the same savings opportunities. So glad that Costco has their own coupons and we are able to save on things we need (e.g. diapers and graham crackers!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbling you from the Stumble Through Thursday Hop. My post is http://practicalfrugality.blogspot.com/2011/07/review-global-game.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! No double coupons? Boo on them!!!

    Stumbled you...my post is: http://keenlykristin.com/2011/07/nutrisystem-week-12-going-strong-and-in-love/

    Thanks for linking up!
    Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never really considered tracking my savings. It might be interesting to see it all added up though! We drink a lot of soda, so I totally get what you're saying about no coupons. My husband also has a few favorite things I can never seem to find coupons for. I don't do anything close to those ladies on EC, but I think your 46% is pretty darn good!

    I stumbled you and my post is http://www.mamamommymom.com/2011/07/greek-inspired-pasta-salad.html if you want to stumble back!

    Jamie @ http://www.mamamommymom.com
    http://www.facebook.com/mamamommymom
    http://www.twitter.com/mamamommymom

    ReplyDelete