Family Travel Review ~ The Durham Museum in Omaha


I've traveled to Omaha numerous times and I thought I knew a lot about the city, but on our most recent visit I was pleasantly surprised to discover something new to me.  Previously known as the Western Heritage Museum the Durham Museum has been open since 1975.  It is housed in the historic Union Stations and went under a major renovation in 1995.  When I heard there was a train cars there I knew it would be a fun place to take the kids.  The Durham is just a short drive from the Henry Doorly Zoo.  We visited late on a Saturday afternoon.  It was fun to enter the Great Hall of the former station and see it set up for a wedding and reception that was going to take place that night.


We were directed to the lower level and it felt like we were entering another time.  As soon as T. spotted the train he was off to explore how he could climb on board.  

Both of the kids liked being able to go through the train cars on the Harriman Family Line.  I have to say I really enjoyed it too.  It definitely helps you experience what railroad travel would have been like. 


After the train we were off to explore the many galleries.  The kids enjoyed the home and family galleries the most.  It was fun for them to see artifacts from and replicas of another time.  Hubby and I were very interested in viewing the photographic tribute to the American Soldier that is on display in the Velde Gallery.  The kids were not being respectful of others in the exhibit though, so we weren't able to see it all.


The model train exhibit though could have kept the kids entertained for hours.  They were so fascinated by the layout and of course loved that they could push buttons to start the trains, turn on the lights and put themselves on the screen.  It was very hard to pull them away from the set-up.  There was still more to see though.
 



My only regret of our visit was not getting to experience the Soda Fountain.  Since the hall was set up for a reception we didn't explore the main level the way I would have liked and we completely missed it!  It will have to wait until our next visit.

Head over to The Durham Museum to learn more and plan your visit.


Thanks to the Omaha Convention & Visitors Bureau for making this review possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment