What I Saved in 2011 ~ Year End Finals

In 2011 I started using a Savings Tracking spreadsheet I downloaded at Savings Lifestyle.  For the first time in my life I wanted to see what I was actually saving with coupons. On this spreadsheet I entered every grocery trip, Walgreens run and Target outing.  I tracked what I spent out of pocket, what my total savings was including sales and what I saved by using coupons.  At mid-year my savings percentage was at 46%.  My goal at that time was to increase it to at least 50% and I'm happy to say that I acheived that goal.  In 2011 I saved almost $3000 just from coupons alone.  By combining coupons with store sales and promotions I saved over $4000.
 
My goal for 2012 is to achieve 60% savings at these stores.  What might hold me back?  I'm not going to make excuses if I don't reach this goal, but one reason I'm unable to achieve higher savings is the fact that I don't live in double-couponing region.  Other downfalls for myself are my love of soda and ice cream.  I'm very good at stocking up on soda when I get a 12-pack for $2.50 or less, but it's still a bad habit that adds up and adds to my grocery bills.  I've also always included alcohol purchases in this spreadsheet as well and unless you have mail-in rebates for items there's usually not much savings there.  Although we are not big drinkers it's still something we like to have for entertaining.  I will try to cut back on my splurge items in 2012, but I'm not making any promises!
 
Did you track your savings in 2011?  Please share your saving successes here!  Do you have a goal to save more in 2012?  I'd love to hear it!
 
Confessions of a Frugal Mind

1 comment:

  1. I never tracked my savings other than week to week but don't worry to much about not being able to double coupon. My store allows it but the stores and manufactures put so many restrictions I usually end up saving no more than $2.00 extra on an order that would be $250 without coupons.

    ReplyDelete