Frugal Tuesday Tip - Other People's Junk


Equals my husband's treasure!  Here comes another one of my confessions - my husband is a junker.  Several nights during the spring and summer you will find him out combing the streets in search of a great find.  He picked up a Cozy Coupe this Spring and no it's not in fab condition, but believe me my kids could care less.  They've been having a great time with it.  And when our family is done with it the Cozy Coupe will probably go back out on our curb for another family to find and enjoy.

Here are a few of Jim's Tips for Junking:
  • Visit city website to find out when spring cleaning weekends are taking place
  • Plan your route - driving around town isn't exactly being green, so be sure you have an idea of what areas you want to hit and try to avoid backtracking.
  • Take a friend - it helps to have another set of eyes to spot items and you also might need some help picking something up
  • Be prepared to haul - a pick up or trailer is definitely helpful for junking, but Jim is seeing an increase in the number of sedans, etc. that are out junking.  If you have an idea of what you are searching for make sure you can actually haul it.
  • Be selective - if you're not going to use it or know somebody that will leave it for somebody else to pick up!
Some of his finds are pictured above.  This has also been a great way to get tomato cages for the garden, trash cans that work great for yard waste and his latest score was about fifteen 18-gallon plastic totes.

10 comments:

  1. Oooh! Great ideas! And you're right ... kids couldn't care less. Great way to save some moolah. :-)

    I've stumbled ya. Please stumble me back when you can ... http://booksatthepaperhouse.blogspot.com/2011/06/book-it-to-paperhouse.html

    ~ Devon
    Reading with Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my husband is EXACTLY the same. I have to admit he has made some great finds-it's getting him to leave the not-so-great finds behind that is the hard part sometimes!

    I stumbled you, my post is http://beautegras.blogspot.com/2011/06/no-fear-swimsuit-shopping.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bike doesn't look bad at all, definitely a nice find ;)

    I stumbled You, please stumble my post as well
    Bums with laptops
    have a good laugh

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always leave things out early so they're picked up before the trash collecters get to them. Makes me glad they're not filling the landfils.

    I stumbled you. My post is http://booksyourkidswilllove.blogspot.com/2011/06/young-adult-books-too-dark.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Your hubby has found some nice stuff! Our whole family road shops! So true "One persons junk is anothers treasure" Stumbled you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love junking and yard saleing (if that's a word)

    I stumbled your post!

    Karen
    ~Mommy's Moments~ {{a review & giveaway blog and more}}
    http://www.avonbykaren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Around these parts, we call it trash pickin'. LOL. And, yes, my husband and I have spent many evenings cruising around, listening to the radio, talking and laughing and...yes, finding treasures in the trash. It's utterly amazing some of the things that people throw away. My husband, on the other hand, won't throw something away until I give him an ultimatum...LOL. OK, he's not that bad, but you probably know quite well what I mean!

    Stumbled you...my post is:
    http://keenlykristin.com/2011/06/summer-of-kristin-a-sad-day-in-wildwood/

    Thanks for linking up!
    Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a really great idea!!!
    Stumbled you for Stumble Thursday.

    Angela at MoveOverBetty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love saving money and this is a great idea!

    Stopping by from Stumble Thursday! Would love if you'd return the visit (and the stumble!) at http://formulamom.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That coupe is a great find! Thanks for the tips.

    Stumbled you. My post is:
    http://www.mapleleafmommy.com/2011/06/review-tassimo-home-brewing-system.html

    ReplyDelete